Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join Now!
The Gift of a Moment
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/6/2020 at 2:31:24 PM GMT
The Gift of a Moment

In April you received a communication from the IAIP Board of Directors, announcing the cancellation of the 2020 convention, which was to be held in Louisville, KY in June.  Cancellation quickly became a ‘plot twist’ as we work to convert the Louisville convention to our first ever virtual convention!  I would like to say a few words to you about this decision and about the COVID-19 pandemic, in general.

First, I would like to tell you about the hard work and exceptional effort that went into the convention by the volunteers on the Convention Planning Task Force.   Our four co-chairs, Margaret Wildi, Deborah Wade, Rachel Shubert, and Kristin Boman did an exceptional job planning, for you, a value-packed event.  There were many volunteers working on the convention for the past 10 months, recruiting instructors, vetting speakers, planning events, and many tasks that are performed behind the scenes.  Now they begin again, repeating much of the same work, so that we can enjoy the convention virtually.  While I cannot thank each volunteer individually in this message, I would like to thank every member who worked on this convention, from the early planning stages to the final details, and I want you to know I see you, I appreciate you, and your work has been very important to the association.  Time and effort are the most precious gifts we each have to give, and this team gave abundantly.  I cannot thank you all enough.   I extend this same appreciation to the staff of Meeting Expectations, as they give us a valiant effort right now to create and manage our virtual event.  It is no small task, and they are working morning, noon, and night to support us in this effort.  It’s a privilege for me to be part of such a devoted and inspiring team.  Their gifts extend well beyond any duty or obligation we might imagine.

I’ve received many kind, compassionate messages about the cancellation of the Louisville convention, which might have been a special moment for me as the presiding officer.  I want to share my perspective about that.  My ‘moment’ has been many moments that occurred before this day.  My moments came in watching the Board of Directors unite in defining transformational strategies to rebuild our association and seeing these strategies work!  They came in seeing Task Forces struggle with ambitious objectives, but never giving up and working very, very hard to meet the challenge.  My moments came in watching our Regional Vice Presidents connect with one another, solve problems together, sharing best practices with one another, and supporting one another in all the work we’ve done.  They came in being part of an inspirational team of professionals and now, dear friends.  My moments came when members participated in our new offerings, such as the town hall meetings, the virtual regional conferences, our virtual happy hours, and the new pop-up shop.  The moments that meant the most were the moments I spent trying to lead our organization to new possibilities and an ambitious future, and knowing that I could count on all of you to help us get there.

There’s no better feeling than that of ‘safety’… knowing that no matter the circumstances there will be a team of people who have your back.  Without a team, leaders are nothing, and this is especially true in the case of IAIP this year.  This entire year has been a series of ‘moments’ that became gifts.  I thank you all for that honor, and my only regret is that I will not be able to personally thank and hug all of you in June for your contributions and support.

Finally, I want to share with you the real bottom line… you matter to me, and to all of the members of the Board of Directors, as well as our team at Meeting Expectations.  Your health and safety are the most important things to all of us, and the issue at the forefront of all our minds in making the decision to switch to a virtual convention  was the question of whether each of you would be safe if we tried to bring you together.  We will look for other ways to bring members together, to bring you the value of your IAIP membership that you’re expecting, and to offer educational and networking events that you can participate in.  But we won’t risk your health or your safety by bringing you to Louisville in June. 

If you have been considering leadership in IAIP, I encourage you to start that journey.  Give that service; take that risk.  True, it is hard work and sometimes thankless.  But the gifts you receive in return, those many ‘moments’ are far beyond your wildest imagination.  They are most precious.  They make every day worth giving!

I look forward to the next time we meet in person, and until then, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your support, understanding, volunteerism, and engagement throughout this past year.  You’re the reason we keep doing what we do!  Stay home; stay safe! 

Until next time,

Cindy Prud’homme, AINS, CPIA, CIIP, CLP

Cindy J. Prud'homme, AINS, CPIA, CIIP, CLP
International President 2019-2020
Home Email: Breezie_C@prodigy.net
Cell: 810-282-7089

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal